Continue along the lower Chalton road and Old Idsworth Gardens are now on the right, which was the site of the first Idsworth House.
However the idea of being so close to the new ‘Railway Line’ was not to the liking of the owner Sir Jervoise Clarke~Jervoise. In 1852 he commissioned the architect Sir William Burn to replace the house with a mansion up on the hill, described either as neo-Jacobean or Victorian brick. During the war the house was used as a Naval hospital and today has been divided up into desirable residences.
Guy Phelps has written an article about Idsworth: The Rise and Fall of the Clarke Jervoise Dynasty